First, let me say thank you to those of you who stayed with me last week. There were no new posts, no Foodie Friends Friday, nothing. Without going into the details here, last week my husband’s family suffered a great loss that saddened us all terribly. Needless to say, blogging was not high on the list of priorities.
I am back this week with a delicious cream of spinach soup. Soup is not just for winter. There are some fabulous soups out there using spring and summer vegetables, and this is one of them. It is a deliciously creamy taste of spring. And, its beautiful green color makes it perfect for entertaining.
The recipe has just a touch of lemon and nutmeg to give it some added dimension. Hope you enjoy!
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb. fresh baby spinach, stems removed
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot.
- Add garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable broth, spinach, and lemon juice to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and cook until spinach is wilted.
- Using and immersion blender, blend until soup is mostly smooth. Alternately, you could blend the soup in batches in a regular blender.
- Using a fork to break up lumps, stir the flour into the cream.
- Add the cream to the spinach. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low. Cook until all is heated through and thickened.
- Stir in nutmeg.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.