These eggs baked in bread bowls would make a wonderful breakfast or breakfast for dinner. We had them for dinner because I am always on the look out for vegetarian dinner entrees for my son. The vegetables under the egg are spinach and mushrooms with a little garlic, but you could easily change the vegetables to your liking or even add a little meat.
I got this idea from this recipe at Lemony Thyme, but had to change it to my liking. The recipe didn’t originally call for vegetables other than herbs, but since I was making it for dinner, I wanted to include vegetables. And, I like vegetables for breakfast anyway – in omelets for example. I wrote the recipe for one, but you can make as many as you like at a time. You need one roll per serving, one egg, etc.
- 1 large roll for each egg
- 1 egg
- 3 oz. sliced mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. cream
- 1 Tbsp. gruyere cheese, grated
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the top off of the roll and hollow out the inside. Set top aside and place roll on a baking sheet.
- Saute mushrooms, garlic, and spinach in oil until mushrooms are soft.
- Put the mushroom mixture in the bottom of the roll.
- Crack the egg over the mushroom mixture.
- Pour cream over egg.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Put tops on baking sheet with rolls and bake another 5 minutes
Source: Adapted from Lemony Thyme.
This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.