This fajita spaghetti squash is a new favorite of ours. It is one of our many attempts to reduce low quality carbohydrates in our diet. Anything with a Mexican or Southwestern flavor is high on my list of favorites anyway, but those same things are commonly filled with lower quality carbohydrates. Fajitas are usually served with white flour tortillas, but we served the filling over spaghetti squash instead, which has more nutritional value. The results were quite tasty.
The recipe calls for one chopped jalapeno. I leave the seeds in because I like a little heat, but you can remove them if you don’t or even leave the jalapeno out all together. And, as always, please wear gloves when working with hot peppers!
Fajita Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large or two small spaghetti squash
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized chunks
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- avocado, cilantro, and shredded cheese for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken, garlic, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce in a large bag. Seal bag and shake. Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to marinate, sharing occasionally to stir. I cook the squash and cut up the peppers and onion while it marinates.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half length wise and scrape out the seeds.
- Place spaghetti squash cut side down in a glass baking dish. Add just enough water to cover the bottom.
- Bake until easily pierced with a fork. The time for this will vary greatly depending on the size and thickness of your squash, but the one pictured took about 40 minutes. You can go ahead and cook the chicken and vegetable during the last few minutes of cooking, if you would like.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken and saute until cooked through.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook until tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook just until they are hot
- Scrape the strands out of the spaghetti squash and serve the chicken mixture over it topped with avocado, cilantro, and shredded cheese.