If you like the no bake cookies with peanut butter, just wait until you try these. Of course, I used the homemade hazelnut butter I shared with you yesterday and these were super delicious! I think I’m going to have to try them will all different types of nut butters. In fact, I can now think of hundreds of no bake cookie combinations that I might end up subjecting you to. It could become a problem. It is amazing what one little change can do. I personally am a much bigger fan of the hazelnut/chocolate combination than I am of the peanut butter/chocolate combination, so these were perfect for me. I really need to try not to eat them all myself.
The recipe itself, before I changed the peanut butter to hazelnut butter, is one that I have had for a long time, but am not sure where it came from originally. I tried searching it and found out that there are hundreds (if not more) of these same recipes out there that vary little, but I never found the origin. I did find one site that had claimed to find the origin of the recipe and gave a different version of it, but never said where it was from and another that just said they go “back to ancient times.” So if you know of the origin of no bake cookies, please let me know so that I can credit its original author.
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup hazelnut butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups quick cooking oatmeal (Don’t use instant or steel cut.)
- Combine sugar, cocoa, butter, and milk in a large sauce pan. You will need room for it to bubble up.
- Cook over medium to medium high heat, stirring frequently until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil for one minute.
- Stir in hazelnut butter until well combined.
- Stir in vanilla and oatmeal until well combined.
- Drop by tablespoonful onto waxed paper.
- Allow to cool and become firm before eating. This takes a bit longer with the hazelnut butter than peanut butter (several hours), but they are good even before the become firm.
This recipe was shared on In and Out of the Kitchen with Feeding Big and More and Foodie Friends Friday.