Happy Mother’s Day! If you don’t already have a plan for tomorrow’s meal, this Mushroom and Red Pepper Quiche would make a fabulous brunch or lunch entree. I don’t know why, but I always think brunch for Mother’s Day. No matter when you serve it, this quiche is full of vegetables and delicious Gruyere cheese, which makes it yummy.
I do have to confess though, that I meant to add spinach to this recipe, but forgot it at the grocery store. I do think spinach would be a great addition, but you would have to decrease the amounts of mushrooms and red peppers, because there just wouldn’t be enough room for anything else.
Use your favorite pie crust (homemade or store bought), but I used this olive oil crust that I posted at Daily Dish Magazine. It is my favorite for savory pies. In fact, when I make tomato pie, I use the same recipe with a little rosemary mixed in.
- Pie shell for a one crust pie
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- 8 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line pie plate with pie shell.
- In a large skillet, saute pepper and mushrooms in olive oil. After a few minutes, the mushrooms will produce a liquid. You want to cook it until this moisture has cooked away to keep the quiche from being to wet.
- Place mushrooms and pepper in the bottom of the pie shell.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Lightly beat eggs and heavy cream. Pour evenly over vegetables and cheese.
- Bake until set and golden brown on top (about 35 minutes).
- Serve immediately.