Since beginning a series on Daily Dish Magazine about tea, my interest in cooking with tea has been peeked. I have tried sweet recipes made with tea, but this Red Curry Shrimp with Matcha Rice is my first savory, and it was delicious. And, yes the rice really does turn that nice green color. That is one of the great things about matcha green tea – not only does it have a lovely green tea flavor, but it also has a beautiful green color.
This recipe has just enough spice to be flavorful without being hot. But, if you like hot, you can add more curry paste or even some hot pepper.
- 2 cups rice (I used jasmine.)
- 1 15 oz. can coconut milk, divided
- 1 tsp. matcha green tea powder
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 Tbsps. ginger, finely chopped
- 3 clove garlic minced.
- 1 tsp. red curry paste
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- the juice of one lime
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped plus more for garnish
- Cook rice according to package directions replacing 1 cup of the water with 1 cup of the coconut milk and stirring matcha into the water you are cooking with until dissolved.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add ginger, garlic, and red curry paste. Cook stirring constantly just until fragrant (about 1 minute), being careful not to burn.
- Stir in remaining coconut milk, fish sauce, and lime juice.
- Add shrimp and saute just until done being careful not to over cook.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Serve over match rice and garnish with additional cilantro
This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.