This salad is an adaptation of a salad I used to make years ago. The original just had lettuce instead of broccoli, and it was an entree salad that had chicken added. It was delicious, but you really couldn’t take it anywhere because it wilted so badly, but with Memorial Day being tomorrow, I thought I should come up with a more portable version. This Broccoli and Strawberry Salad is just perfect. I think I like it even better than the original – ok, maybe part of that is the changes I made to the dressing. But, it is essentially the same flavors made into a more portable side dish.
Now, about that portability. That didn’t work as well as I was expecting. the strawberries will loose some texture after a couple of hours, so while portable, as in it won’t wilt in ten minutes like the other salad, it is not super make-ahead. Adding the strawberries and cheese at the last minute, will make it last longer – especially the cheese. So, if I were taking this somewhere, I would take the strawberries and cheese in separate containers to stir in when I got there. The strawberries will be good for a while, if you are not going far, but the cheese really needs to be last minute. And, it would be still be good, though not quite as good, if you left the cheese out altogether.
I did blanch the broccoli just a little, so the directions include that, but if you are short on time or just prefer completely raw broccoli, you could leave that step out. Instead of plunging it into cold water, I just drain it and then pour the dressing over it and stick it in the refrigerator. I think allowing the broccoli to cool in the dressing lets it soak up more of the flavor. Just make sure you drain it well before you put on the dressing or it will be watery.
- ½ cup strawberry jam (I used an all fruit, no sugar added version.)
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound broccoli, chopped and any tough parts removed
- 1 pound strawberries, quartered
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- ¾ cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- Whisk together jam, vinegar, olive oil, celery salt, and onion powder until well combined.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Place broccoli in the boiling water and allow to cool just until bright green.
- Drain WELL. I even patted mine dry a bit with a paper towel.
- Place in a bowl and pour dressing over. Toss to coat. Refrigerate until cold.
- Stir in green onions and pecans.
- If you are taking this some where, it would be best to take it like this and add the strawberries and cheese. The strawberries will be good mixed in for a little while, but definitely stir in the cheese at the last minute.
- Just before serving, stir in the strawberries and cheese.