This Sugar Free Peanut Butter Pie was our Father’s Day dessert. Both my father and my husband have diabetes, so we went sugar free. And, honestly, I would have never know it was sugar free. The chocolate sauce on top did have sugar in it because the sugar free I made was awful. You can easily purchase sugar free chocolate sauce though, and I will be working on one that is actually good.
The recipe is one I adapted from this Gooseberry Patch recipe on My Recipes , and I just took it and used sugar free ingredients and added chocolate. I was a little concerned the all natural peanut butter might be a problem due to its consistency, but it was great!
Now, I know someone out there is going to feel the need to tell me about the horrors of artificial sweeteners, so I will go ahead and point out that I am not billing this as health food. I am aware of pretty much all of the information out there about all different types of sweeteners because I have researched it. I am not advising anyone to eat artificially sweetened desserts (or any dessert for that matter) every day or anything like that. But, on special occasions, it is nice for those who can’t eat sugar to be able to have a dessert.
- 2 cups sugar free shortbread cookie crumbs (I used Murray and needed one whole package plus about ¼ of a second package and ran them through the food proceesor.)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup creamy natural (no sugar added) peanut butter (I used Smucker's.)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup milk
- 8 oz. frozen sugar free whipped topping, thawed (I used Cool-Whip.)
- purchased sugar free chocolate sauce
- whipped cream or additional whipped topping if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together cookie crumbs and butter.
- Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or just until it begins to brown.
- Beat together peanut butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until well combined. Gradually add milk beating in a little at a time.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Pour into pie crust. Freeze for about 30 minutes and then keep refrigerated.
- To serve, drizzle chocolate sauce over pie slices and top with whipped cream or whipped topping if desired.