In all my busyness, I have not participated in The Salad Bar challenge in a few months, but I did manage to make a wonderful salad for their Great Grains theme this month. This salad has lots of flavor and is filling enough to be a main dish. You can serve it warm, room temperature or cold. I prefer it to be room temperature, but eat it how you like it. It combines some of the ingredients you traditionally find with barely – beef and mushrooms with tomatoes and vinaigrette to make a yummy winter salad. It serves 4-6 as a side dish or 2 as a main dish.
Steak and Barley Salad for #thesaladbar
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- 1 lb. top round steak, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. Montreal Seasoning
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. coarsely ground mustard
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cook barely according to package directions.
- Toss steak in Montreal seasoning.
- Saute steak and mushrooms in olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet until steak is cooked through and mushrooms are tender.
- Allow barely and steak-mushroom mixture to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix together barely and steak-mushroom mixture.
- Whisk together garlic, vinegar, and mustard.
- Pour over all and toss to coat.
- Just before serving, add tomatoes and toss to coat.