So, I guess I am kind of on an apple kick. I mean, I just did cider on Sunday and here I am again with another apple recipe. What can I say? Fall makes me want apples. Apple Pie Egg Rolls are something that I considered doing years ago, but somehow I never got around to it. I had this recipe for mango spring rolls, but the grocery store where I lived at the time didn’t have the rice paper wrappers, so I bought egg roll wrappers instead, knowing that it meant I would have to cook them, but I persisted despite not having the correct ingredients and my first thought when I bit into them was that they tasted kind of like peach pie or cobbler. So, my next thought was that I should try it with apples. Well, that was at least six or seven years ago, and I have just now gotten around to it. But, the good new is that these were so good that they really were worth the wait!
And, they are easy and fairly quick to make. Basically, you are just chopping up some apples and cooking a little them with sugar, cinnamon, and cornstarch. Then you wrap up the mixture in egg roll wrappers, brush them with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake. And, you’re done. You have eight little yummy, cinnamonny, hand held apple pies – without even touching a pie crust!
In case my egg rolling instructions are not clear, check out my shrimp egg rolls for step-by-step photos or how to roll an egg roll.
Apple Pie Egg Rolls
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 2 large tart baking apples, chopped (I used Granny Smiths.)
- the juice of one lemon
- 2/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Stir the lemon juice into the apples as soon as you get them chopped to prevent browning.
- Stir 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and cornstarch into apples.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook apples stirring constantly until they are lightly cooked and a slightly thickened sauce forms around them. (between 5 and 10 minutes)
- Place 1/4 cup of apple mixture near the corner of each egg roll. Fold the corner up over the filling. Then fold in the sides and roll up. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Stir together remaining cinnamon and sugar.
- Brush both sides of egg rolls with melted butter and then sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar. You will probably have some cinnamon sugar left over, but it is good sprinkled on lots of things, so save it for when you want a little sprinkled on something else.
- Bake until golden brown (10 to 15 minutes).