Ok, I promise to go easy on the cheese dip for a while. This is the third one lately. This time of year, just says party food to me, I guess. I came up with this recipe almost a year ago for a guest post for my friend Dawn at Spatula’s on Parade. I had planned to share it with you this year, but I will be honest, probably not until next week, since I did a different cheese dip last week. I have somehow managed to get overwhelmed by my final exam projects. I have not made anything new in about a week. But, I’m almost done with the last one, so I will be back in the kitchen soon! At any rate, this is just soooo good. You just have to try it!
Bacon Tomato Horseradish Dip
- 9 slices of bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1 Tbsp. of bacon fat reserved from frying the bacon
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 to ½ cup fire roasted tomato juice, reserved from draining the tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
- 8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Add the bacon fat to the bottom of a large saucepan and swirl it around to grease the bottom of the pan. This will help keep the cream cheese from sticking.
- Stir in the tomatoes and 1/3 cup of juice. Heat over medium stirring constantly until the cream cheese is melted. Add the extra juice if needed.
- Stir in horseradish, Monterrey Jack cheese, bacon and scallions (reserving a little bacon and scallions to garnish).
- Continue to heat and stir until Monterrey Jack is melted and everything is well combined.
- Serve immediately with crackers or tortilla chips or put in a slow cooker on warm. Garnish with reserved bacon and scallions.