Everyone needs a recipe for brownies that don’t have add-ins, and this is my basic brownie recipe. I have tried other brownie recipes over the years – lots of them actually. Some were too sweet, and some not sweet enough. Some were too cakey, and at least one had so little flour that it might actually have been confused with fudge. Some had coffee, and I didn’t like that. And, some just didn’t have enough chocolate unless you were wanting the brownie to not mask the flavor of the add-ins. But, after adding, subtracting, and tweaking, these are, as my daughter says, “perfect.”
Now, I call these basic brownies because they don’t even have nuts or frosting, and while they are moist, fudgy, perfection all on their own, don’t let me stifle your creativity. Feel free to add nuts, fruit, frosting, candy or whatever you think goes in brownies. Whether you eat them as is or add to the recipe, the brownie part will be perfect. Seriously, I know everyone has opinions about these things, but these really are the best in my opinion.
The Best Basic Brownies
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with foil and then grease the foil with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt together butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring frequently and being careful not to burn. I put mine on the lowest temperature and actually turn the burner off when the chocolate is about 3/4 of the way melted and just keep stirring until it is completely melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar and vanilla.
- Slowly add eggs, stirring constantly and continue to stir until all of the eggs have been incorporated. This will take several minutes – just keep stirring.
- Add the flour and stir until all the flour is incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until center is almost set.
- Let cool completely before cutting.
Serena | Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch says
Such an easy recipe! Love it!
It is super easy!
I love simple baking recipes like this! These brownies look DELICIOUS!