Hope you are enjoying your holiday weekend. I know a lot of you out there are going to be grilling, so I thought I would share with these great black and blue burgers with you. As a general rule, I am not a hamburger fan, so you know if I am eating it that it has to be good.
So, what makes these burgers different? First, they have blue cheese and blackening seasoning mixed right in with the meat. Then, they are topped with sauteed portabello mushrooms and a delicious horseradish sauce. Instead of regular lettuce, I added spinach, and I did add some homegrown tomato slices. Now, if you want, you can add mustard and ketchup like a regular burger, but I like mine best without it. I mean the horseradish sauce is so good that I really wouldn’t want to change the flavor with mustard and ketchup.
Black and Blue Burgers
- 3 tablespoons powdered garlic
- 2 tablespoons red pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon pink pepper
- 3 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry oregano
- 2 tablespoons ancho pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 pounds ground chuck
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons blackened seasoning
- 4 oz. crumbled blue cheese
- 8 oz. portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Buns (I used pretzel buns from the bakery.)
- Spinach or lettuce
- Tomato, sliced
- Chopped chives and parsely
- In a non reactive bowl combine the seasoning ingredients. Mix well. Use 3 tablespoons for this recipe. The rest can be stored in airtight container for future use.
- Place ground chuck in a bowl, add eggs, blackened seasoning and blue cheese.
- Mix well and form into 1/3 to 1/2 pound patties. Place in refrigerator until ready to put on the grill.
- Oil grates and light grill, bring to a temperature between 350° to 425°.
- You want to cook these on indirect heat until almost done, about 3 minutes per side.
- As the burger approach desired doneness move each one over the flame to sear the outside.
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in butter over medium heat until tender.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Stir together all ingredients an refrigerate until serving.
- Place burgers on bun and top with mushrooms, horseradish sauce, spinach, tomato, chives and parsley.
Leave a Reply