I really do love quiche in almost all of its forms, but broccoli and cheddar quiche has to be one of my favorites. I think of eating it for brunch or lunch, but it is just as good for dinner or breakfast. With my son being a vegetarian, we are trying to eat meatless at least once a week, and quiche is just perfect because it has enough protein to satisfy everyone, including the meat lovers.
Quiche is one of those things that is so easy to make that every time I make it I wonder why I don’t make it more often. Now, you do have to make a pie crust – or buy one. I really have a deep love for homemade pie crust, but if I am short on time, store bought is much better than it used to be. In fact, I bought the one pictured here <-- confession. My preference for savory pies is an olive oil crust like the one in my tomato pie (though I would leave the rosemary out for this), but when I made this one I was in the midst of final project week at school, and was doing good to make anything for the blog.
Purchased crust or not, this quiche is fabulous. There were only three of us for dinner, and we ate the whole thing. With that in mind, I’m going to say it serves four because we probably over ate, but I would definitely not count on skimpy slices of this one. It is just too good for that!
Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche
- 1 9 inch pie crust, unbaked
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped into very small pieces and steamed until crisp-tender
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the pie crust in a 9 inch pie plate and trim edges.
- Place half of the cheese in the bottom of the pie.
- Top with broccoli and then remaining cheese.
- Beat together eggs, milk, onion powder, and salt until well combined.
- Pour evenly over broccoli and cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 300 minutes or until set in the middle.