This is one of those recipes that I make when it is just me and my son for dinner. He is a vegetarian, and I really have those leanings too, but the rest of the family is a bit more meat oriented, so when it is just us, I take the time to make something that the rest of the family would not consider an entree.
This casserole may be vegetarian, but trust me, with all this cheese, it is quite filling. And, it is pretty easy to put together – though it does take a bit of time. I used whole grain pasta, but feel free to use white, gluten free, or whatever you like. Just cook it according to the package directions. I used the whole broccoli stalk, not just the florets. Just trim off any tough parts and cut it into pretty small pieces so that it doesn’t take a really long time to cook.
Broccoli and Mushroom Casserole
- 8 ounces pasta, cooked according to package directions (I used whole grain rotini.)
- 1 pound broccoli, trimmed of tough parts and cut into small pieces
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups water, plus more if needed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 15 ounces part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the broccoli and mushrooms in the water, stirring frequently until tender. You can add more water if necessary.
- If moisture does not cook away, drain vegetables and return to the pan, but turn off the heat.
- Stir in butter and garlic, stirring until butter is melted.
- Stir in ricotta, sour cream, and two cups of the cheddar, stirring until well combined.
- Pour mixture into casserole dish. T op with remaining cheese and bake until bubbly (about 30 minutes).
Vajra Ma says
You included past in the ingredients, but did not mention it in the cooking instructions. 🙂