There is this broccoli casserole – you probably know the one, that is just so good, but it has processed cheese food and canned cream-of soup in it. I pretty much gave up using those types of ingredients years ago, so I decided to come up with a less processed version. I was a little afraid it wouldn’t be as good, but don’t worry – this one is even better!
I did go ahead and use instant rice in this recipe, but I did use brown rice instead of white. If you want to ditch the instant, you can cook brown rice ahead of time and add it instead of the instant. However, uncooked regular brown rice simply would not get cooked in a reasonable amount of time.
Broccoli and Rice Casserole
Yield 4 -6
- 1 pound broccoli, chopped and steamed until tender
- 1 cup instant brown rice, uncooked
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Whisk in flour and salt.
- Remove from heat and slowly whisk in milk.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Stir in cheddar, continuing to stir until well blended.
- Combine broccoli, rice, and cheese sauce in a large casserole dish. Stir to evenly distribute.
- Bake at 360 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until rice is cooked through and top is golden brown.
Leave a Reply