Anyone else out there feeling like they need a break from holiday food? As awesome as all of those sweets I made were/are, I really need to get in something healthy if I am going to enjoy New Year’s Eve and Day. We have managed a really good job of making sweets when we are in charge of desserts for gatherings or having Steve take them to the office or finding some way to eat just a serving ourselves and give the rest away, so we are really feeling all that holiday sugar more than we did in the past. As a result, I dreamed up this Broccoli Salad with Sesame dressing. Steve is out smoking chicken, and I am making salad and baking sweet potatoes for a delicious healthier dinner.
I really have to confess, when I started making this I was feeling so like not eating anything at all that I was just not enthusiastic. I hadn’t had anything to eat all day and didn’t want anything. But, after I ate it, I felt so much better that I am actually looking forward to dinner – and having more. It seems to have given me back my appetite. I attribute that to the broccoli and ginger. Something that is delicious and makes you feel better is a win-win in my book!
Broccoli Salad with Sesame Dressing
- Approximately 1 pound broccoli, trimmed, coarse stems removed, and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli and bring water back to a boil and then quickly remove the broccoli. You want it to be just barely cooked.
- Stir bell pepper into broccoli and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients.
- When broccoli has cooled, pour dressing over and toss to coat.
- Add almond and toss to evenly distribute.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until serving