Oh my, this Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Skillet is so good. It is my latest attempt to create something interesting for my vegetarian son. It is supposed to serve 6, and he ate about half of it, so I think that is a good sign.
I found the original recipe at Ambitious Kitchen via Pinterest. I love Ambitious Kitchen. Now, of course, it is difficult for me to make a recipe and not change it to my own liking, so I did that here, and my recipe reflects that, but I am sure the original is just as delicious. I left out the onion because I don’t really like them, but I did add a bit of onion powder. I also left out the jalapeno and cilantro, but I think it would have been even better with them, but somehow I got home from the grocery store without them. I also didn’t want to use enchilada sauce, so I added a little extra spice and used tomato sauce instead. I was also a bit more generous with the olive oil and cheese. My son is relatively new to vegetarianism, and often does not get enough protein and fat, so a little extra won’t hurt him. It was delicious! Hope you enjoy!
- 1 2 lb. butternut squash
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsps. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 corn tortillas, cut in strips about 1/2 inch wide
- 2 cups shredded co-jack cheese
- Pierce squash with a fork in several places. Cook for 10 minutes on full power in the microwave. This makes it easier to cut and peel.
- When squash is done microwaving, cut open and let cool enough to touch.
- Cut squash into bite sized pieces.
- Saute squash in olive oil in a large skillet until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients except cheese. Stir to combine.
- Cook over medium heat until all is heated through.
- Add one cup of the cheese and stir to combine. Continue cooking until all is hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and continue heating until the cheese on top begins to melt.
Eileen deCamp says
Can’t wait to try this. My daughter is a vegetarian and will love this!
Thanks so much for all the great recipes!
We loved it. Hope you do too!
Walking On Sunshine Recipes says
Looks delicious! Your photos are beautiful!
This is a great recipe! I never thought of using squash as a Mexican Dish. Love the addition of olives! I will make sure my daughter sees this recipe. She is in college and cooks for herself and is a vegetarian.
Thanks for linkin gup to Foodie Friends Friday! Look forward to seeing what you bring next week!