When I first decided to make this sandwich, it didn’t occur to me to share it with you. I was home alone without much to eat in the house, but I didn’t want to go the the grocery store. What I did have was the first ripe tomato of the season, but a tomato sandwich just wasn’t going to be enough food. I did have leftover mozzarella from the homemade pizzas we made a while back. It wasn’t the good fresh kind, just store bought shreds that melts well on pizza. My first thought was just tomato and mozzarella grilled cheese, but when I went out to get the tomato we had left on the table on the back porch, I noticed my basil plant looking particularly pretty, and my mind went straight to caprese. And, of course with it being all melty and yummy looking I had to take a picture. Then, I tasted it, and knew I had to share. This sandwich is awesome!
I think the key to grilled cheese is to not get the pan too hot, so that the cheese has time to melt well before the outside gets burnt. You can tell by my browned edges that mine might have been a bit too hot, but it was delicious. Hope you enjoy!
Caprese Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices loaf bread – use your favorite
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- about 4 large slices tomato – enough to cover your bread
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large basil leaves – again, enough to cover your bread
- olive oil for frying
- On one piece of bread layer 1/4 cup mozzarella, tomato (sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste), basil, and remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella.
- Top with the other slice of bread.
- Pour just enough olive oil in a small skillet to cover the bottom.
- Heat over medium.
- When oil is hot, carefully add sandwich to skillet. Cook until the cheese on the bottom piece of bread melts.
- Using a spatula, carefully turn the sandwich over and cook on the other side until cheese melts.
This looks SO delicious! I love caprese salad and never thought of having it as a grilled sandwich – what a fabulous idea!!! Thanks for sharing, pinning and have a wonderful weekend!
So funny , great minds do think alike LOL, you were a good girl and used olive oil, I used full on butter!
It looks GREAT !! Definitely a sandwich for me 🙂