Looks pretty tasty, doesn’t it? This weekends meal is my variation on Chicken Cordon Bleu. This started out as a much larger project than it ended up. We had the grand boys here and, as normal, time just got away from me and I had to change my plan to fit. I will visit the main idea, something to do with a whole boneless chicken, once things slow down again here in the Hinterlands.
dried thyme, minced garlic, and spicy Paprika…….and don’t forget the boneless skinless chicken. It is easy to make, just takes a little time to get it all put together. Just follow the steps and the pictures and your home free!
Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 slices of Prosciutto ham
- 4 to 8 oz Gruyere cheese, sliced thin
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons spicy paprika
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Kitchen twine or toothpicks, for holding it all together
- Meat mallet, to pound the chicken into submission…not really to pound it to 1/4 thick
- Plastic wrap
- Place the chicken on a sturdy surface. Do one chicken breast at a time. Cover with a sheet plastic wrap. Take the meat mallet, using the smooth side, pound the chicken breast to about 1/4 inch thick. Repeat the process on the remaining chicken. When complete move the chicken to the refrigerator until your ready to roll it up. I suggest you leave the plastic wrap between each chicken breast to make the chicken easier to handle.
- Next, wash then chop the mushrooms and set aside.
- Peel and slice the shallot. In a shallow pan melt the butter and add the shallots and saute until they start to go translucent. Add the mushrooms and saute this for about 10 minutes or until the mushrooms release all their moisture. Set aside.
- Mince the garlic and set aside
- You are going to work with one chicken breast at a time so…
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and arrange one piece on a clean cutting board with the plastic wrap under the chicken.
- Season the chicken with some black pepper and dried thyme.
- Cover the chicken with 2 of the prosciutto ham slices and the minced garlic.
- Spoon the sauteed mushroom mixture on.
- Add the Gruyere slices
- Then roll the chicken up as tight as possible and tie off with 2 to 3 lengths of the kitchen twine. If you use toothpicks then seal the edge off by passing the tooth pic through to the opposite side of the roll. I found that if you use the plastic wrap to roll the chicken it may work better, just remember to remove it before you tie the chicken…;)
- Dust on all sides with the paprika.
- Repeat this with the remaining chicken.
- Place on a broiler pan and bake at 350° for 35 to 45 minutes or until the internal temp is 165° when read with an instant read thermometer.
Now you can grill these or put them on the smoker instead of using the oven. I ran close on time so I opted for the oven. I will plan better next time.
We served these with green beans, baked potatoes, and a green leaf lettuce salad. IT was great.
I hope you give this a try