Chicken Verde Pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast (I buy the thin sliced because they cook faster.)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 6 tomatillos, roughly chopped
- 2 4.5 ounce cans chopped green chilies
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (Use a real onion if you like them.)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped plus more for garnish if desired
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound brown rice macaroni (You can use regular macaroni if you like.)
- 4 cups shredded low-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 6 ounces fat-free Greek yogurt or quark
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet (I used a 12 inch cast iron.), combine chicken, broth, tomatillos, chilies, garlic, onion powder, and cilantro.
- Cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked through (about 20 minutes).
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. I did this right in the skillet.
- Stir in pasta and olive oil and cook until tender. Stir frequently to keep the pasta from sticking to bottom of the pan. The olive oil helps with this a bit, but you still need to stir it. Mine took about 15 minutes, but the time may be different if you use a different type of pasta.
- Turn heat off and stir in about 3 cups of the cheese and yogurt. Leave the pan on the burner and stir until all of the cheese melts and everything is well combined.
- Stir in salt to taste.
- Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top and place in the oven until it melts.
- Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.
Recipe by From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫ at https://www.fromcalculustocupcakes.com/chicken-verde-pasta/