I realize that I am not the first to freeze watermelon. Nor, am I the first to dip it in chocolate. But, this was just so easy and so good that I had to share. I am going to write it up as a recipe, but it really isn’t even a recipe, but more of a procedure.
And, you know it had to be quick and easy or you wouldn’t be seeing it right now. My summer work/school schedule is killing me. I have been working about fifteen hours a day, which is why you have not been seeing much of me. The good news is that it is almost over, so things will be getting back to normal around here soon.
Now, about the watermelon, this is kind of messy to eat, but it is definitely worth it. Watermelon is pretty hard when it gets frozen, so if you want it to be easier to eat, you might cut it in smaller pieces. And, you can expect to get some pieces of chocolate and sprinkles around too, so this treat is best eaten outside.
Chocolate Covered Frozen Watermelon
- chocolate, melted (I used semisweet and followed the directions to melt it in the microwave that were on the package.) The amount you need greatly depends on how much watermelon you have and how you cut it. I needed about 1 ounce per slice, but I used pretty big slices.
- sprinkles, optional
- Slice watermelon. Steve sliced mine for me into rounds about 1 1/2 inches thick and then I cut the rounds into eighths.
- Freeze until hard. (I froze mine overnight.)
- Melt chocolate and spoon over frozen watermelon. Sprinkle with sprinkles quickly before the chocolate hardens.
- The watermelon melts pretty fast, so you might want to take a few slices out at a time and return them to the freezer after they are coated with chocolate.
- Do not remove from the freezer until just before serving.