Traditional St. Patrick’s Day fare is corned beef and cabbage (at least, among Irish Americans), and while this meal does take quite a while to cook (mostly inactive on your part), it couldn’t really be any simpler. Granted, there are fancier recipes out there for corned beef and cabbage, but this very simple version is also very delicious. I served it here with mashed potatoes. While the colors of the cabbage and potatoes are so close that this meal doesn’t make the greatest picture, I assure you that it is quite delicious! So, Happy St. Patrick’s Day and enjoy!
Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 1 corned beef brisket (about 1/2 pound per person)
- 1 head of cabbage
- Put brisket in a large pot.
- Cover with water.
- Empty seasoning packet into the water.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 1 to 2 hours per pound of meat.
- About an hour before beef should be done, cut cabbage into chunks and put in the pot with the beef and cook for remaining hour.