These grilled baby artichokes would be a wonderful addition to your Memorial Day grilling. They are delicious and a bit different from the usual Memorial Day fare. If you can’t find baby artichokes, then you can grill the large ones, but you will have to remove the choke. Most of the time, baby artichokes don’t even have a choke.
We served our artichokes with this grilled salmon and red rice. If you like grilled salmon, this is an excellent recipe. This was my first time cooking red rice, so I cooked it according to the package directions without any embellishment so that I could see what it really tasted like, and I really liked it. It is chewier and nuttier tasting than brown rice.
Grilled Baby Artichokes with Curry Dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- a dash or two of hot sauce
- 12 baby artichokes
- 1 lemon
- olive oil to brush the artichokes
- sea salt to taste
- Combine first five ingredients, stirring until well combined. Refrigerate until serving.
- One at a time, trim the stem and tip of the artichokes. Remove coarse outer leaves and trim the edge of remaining outside leaves. Cut in half. Rub all cut edges with lemon to prevent browning.
- In a large pot filled with water, boil artichokes until just starting to become tender (5 to 10 minutes).
- Drain artichokes.
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Grill 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve with curry dressing.
This recipe was shared on Swap n Share Sunday at Spatulas on Parade.