We eat a lot of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes and oatmeal are about the only two starches that don’t raise Steve’s blood sugar. I went through a stage where I peeled them and cut them up, tossed them in olive oil and salt and pepper and roasted them. Ok, I still do that – it is easy and good. But, almost as easy, and much more attractive are these hasselback sweet potatoes. Plus, they make the skin taste good.
This recipe is just for one, but you can make as many as you like, just repeat the procedure for each one.
Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice sweet potato into 1/8 to 1/4 inch about 3/4 of the way into the potato, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- Brush with olive oil trying to get in between the slices. Reserve any remaining oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and separate slices slightly with a knife to get them to fan out a bit. Brush again with remaining oil, or just to spread out the oil that is already there using the knife to help you get it in between the slices better.
- Return to the oven and continue baking for an approximately 30 more minutes or until done.
Leave a Reply