I know healthy eating is probably not the first thing on your mind this week with Thanksgiving coming up, but one of my holiday strategies for keeping myself feeling good, is to try to eat healthy when I’m not actually at some sort of holiday gathering, and this Healthy Creamy Chicken and Kale Soup is just the perfect healthy cold day meal. It is high in protein and vegetables and is dairy and grain free. It gets its creaminess from a combination of coconut milk and almond milk instead of dairy or a flour roux. And, best of all it is delicious – kind of zuppa toscanaish, but healthy.
Healthy Creamy Chicken and Kale Soup
Yield 4 -6
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 3 cups almond milk
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 pound kale, chopped
- Place chicken breasts, coconut milk, and almond milk in a large pot.
- Stir in garlic, salt, oregano, basil, and onion powder.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through. Time will be dependent on the thickness of you chicken breast, but mine took about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pot and cut into bite sized pieces. Return chicken to the pot and add the mushrooms. Continue cooking until mushrooms are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add kale and cook until wilted. If your pot is not big enough, you may need to add the kale a little at a time, allowing it to cook down a bit before each addition.
Maureen | Orgasmic Chef says
Is there any comfort food better than chicken soup? There would be no race to dessert with this soup.