It has really been cold here this week – well, for around here. So, soup was definitely on the menu and this cream of mushroom soup was perfect. I served it with salad and crusty whole grain bread with butter.
The recipe is one I adapted very slightly from this one by Season with Spice that I found on Pinterest. It is the same basic recipe, but I used different mushrooms, water instead of broth because I didn’t have any vegetable broth, and my vegetarian son was going to be eating it. I also used soy sauce instead of Worcestershire sauce to keep it vegetarian and lightened it up just a little by using half-and-half instead of heavy cream. Even with the changes, it was so delicious that I simply can’t imagine that the original is better – though I may try it sometime when my son isn’t home just to see. I just know you are going to love this!
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Yield 3 -4
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz. baby bella musrooms, sliced
- 4 oz. shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsps. butter
- 2 tsps. dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsps. flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Saute mushrooms, garlic, thyme, bay leaves and soy sauce in olive oil and butter until mushrooms are soft and most of the liquid from them has cooked away.
- Add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Dissolve flour in two tablespoons of cold water and stir into mushroom mixture. Let cook stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken. Stir in nutmeg and salt to taste.
- Stir in half-and-half and milk and continue cooking until heated through.
- Serve immediately with freshly ground black pepper sprinkled on top.
This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.
Hi, your mushroom soup look very appetizing. Great to go with french loaf.
Have a nice weekend.
I love cream of mushroom soup! With a toast and some blue cheese on top 😀
Walking On Sunshine Recipes says
For some reason I do not like mushrooms, BUT I enjoy cream of mushroom soup! Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing on FFF!
Ronnie Wallace says
Can you use unsweetened Almond milk instead pf regular milk?