Today is our Connor’s first birthday. And, in honor of his birthday I made these grain-free dog treats, which he loves. Of course, we are all going to be home at different times today, so this actually happened last night, but that just means I get to post it on his birthday. Connor is our beautiful sheltland sheep dog that we adopted after our house seemed so empty when our westie passed away last year. Our westie had been allergic to chicken and in finding out about his allergies, we discovered that many dogs and cats are allergic to or intolerant of grains. Since then, we have tried to limit the grains our animals eat, which has particularly helped the cats with their digestion.
These dog treats have just three ingredients: sweet potatoes, natural peanut butter, and eggs. They are very much the consistency of a regular cookie, so I have to wonder just what I would have to do to them to make them taste like human cookies. I don’t think it would be much at all, so I will experiment around and let you know if I come up with something good. Anyway these are Connor approved. He was such a good boy letting me take pictures of him wearing a hat and even waiting to eat his treat!
Homemade Grain Free Dog Treats
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Stir together all ingredients until well combined.
- Drop by spoonful (I used a cookie scoop.) onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely before feeding to your dog.
And, from Connor’s perspective:
Precious, Precious pictures of Conner! Great post! Those treats sound pretty good to ME!