I have been planning to share this recipe with you for quite a while. I first posted it on Daily Dish Magazine back in December, but somehow never got around to sharing it here. Today was a particularly cold, wet day here, so it was perfect for hot cocoa. And, spring is on its way, so I thought I better share it while people were still in the mood for hot cocoa.
The basic recipe is below, but the great thing about making your own hot cocoa mix is that you can add in whatever you want to make it special. The hot cocoa pictured above has vanilla bean seeds and uses French vanilla flavored creamer, but you can add in almost anything – flavored creamer, chocolate chips, chopped caramel, peppermint crumble, spices, flavored chips, orange peel… pretty much anything you like with chocolate. I used this recipe from All Recipes to get me started mainly because I think it was the same recipe my mother used when I was a kid, but I changed the ratios just a little bit for my tastes and added actual chocolate.
Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
- 10 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 cups powdered coffee creamer
- 2 cups dutch processed cocoa
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, grated
- add-ins as desired
- whipped cream or marshmallows for topping
- Whisk all ingredients together until evenly distributed.
- Mix ½ cup mixture with 1 cup boiling water. Stir until all of the mixture is dissolved.
- Top with whipped cream or marshmallows.
Source: All Recipes
This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.