There really is no comparison between homemade pimento cheese and store bought. Homemade is so much better that they almost don’t even seem like the same thing, and this recipe for homemade jalapeno pimento cheese is particularly good. My husband made it to satisfy his pimento cheese craving, and it is delicious in all the usual ways – in sandwiches, on crackers, as a dip and a topping, or as these tea sandwiches I made out of it. It does have jalapenos in it, so feel free to leave those out if you don’t want hot, but it is not very hot at all, and I think they make a great addition.
My husband adapted his recipe from this one at A Sweet Pea Chef. He left out the garlic and added jalapenos and an usual ingredient – pickle juice. Just pour some pickle juice right out of the pickle jar. It gives the pimento cheese and extra bite that makes is just perfect.
Homemade Jalapeno Pimento Cheese
- 4 oz. (1/2 of an 8 oz. block), cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 Tbsps. pimentos, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsps. jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup pickle juice
- Mix all ingredients together with an electric mixer until smooth and well combined.
This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.