Have you tried honey kiss melon? This one was my first! Apparently, they have been around for a few years, but they just recently started showing up in my rural grocery store. The flavor is similar to cantaloupe, but much sweeter. It might be my favorite melon. I should have taken photos of it before I cut it up, but didn’t think of it. It looks kind of like a cantaloupe, but is oblong instead of round. If you can’t find one, you could use cantaloupe in this recipe, but it won’t be nearly as sweet.
Of course, you know me, if I like it, I’m going to have to turn it into something else. So, here is the salad I created using my honey kiss melon. It should probably serve four, but I ate it all. Hey, it was most of dinner, and it was soooo good! Hope you enjoy!
Honey Kiss Melon Salad
- 1/2 honey kiss melon cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 large strawberries, hulled and slice
- 1/2 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey (I used raw honey.)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- In a medium bowl, toss together melon, strawberries, avocado, and basil to evenly distribute.
- Whisk together orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, honey, and salt.
- Pour over fruit and stir.
- Serve immediately.