If you are feeding people that can’t agree, these individual skillet cookies are a must! Give everyone an equal amount of cookie dough and let them mix in whatever they want. We made these with the grandsons, and it was perfect. One used lots of chocolate, while the other added just a bit of butterscotch. Both, of course, added sprinkles – everyone likes sprinkles, right. Steve and I shared one and added chocolate AND butterscotch and nuts, but no sprinkles. Everyone was happy.
Another good thing about these cookies is portion control. Everyone gets the same amount. Hey, I even weighed ours. You don’t need to go to those lengths, but I just knew someone would complain that the other had more. Everyone had the same and they get to make there own decisions about eating it. They don’t have to worry about someone eating all the cookies and them being gone, so they feel more free to eat when they actually want to eat. It totally eliminates the whole racing to get more than the other thing.
This does make four small skillet cookies. Our fourth belonged to my son, who was a bit behind the rest of us in getting his done because he was busy, so only the three made the photos.
Individual Skillet Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Whatever mix-ins you want. We had chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, pecans and sprinkles.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly brush 4 small iron skillets with oil (Mine were 6-inch.)
- Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add salt and baking soda and mix for one minute.
- Add flour and mix until well combined.
- Divide evenly among 4 bowls.
- Let each person add their own mix-ins.
- Press into skillets
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown and almost set. I bake mine one sheet at a time.
Linda @ Veganosity says
This is such a great idea Michelle! Haha-of course a former calculus teacher is going to weigh the dough.That made me chuckle. I’m going to file this in my memory (I hope it sticks) for my future grandkids. 🙂
Yeah, but it isn’t even really me! The boys need it to be equal!
I officially have to buy a skillet! These cookies look amazing 🙂
I couldn’t live without a skillet. I have several sizes!