Key Lime Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp. key lime zest
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup key lime juice
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup key lime juice
- 2 Tbsps. cornstarch
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsps. confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9" x 13" glass baking dish. You don't want to use aluminum because the juice could erode it.
- Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Mix in key lime zest.
- Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Mix in key lime juice, baking soda, and salt until well combined.
- Add flour to mixture, alternating with buttermilk, but beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a wooden inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before topping with filling and whipped cream.
- Stir together sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice, and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and boil one minute stirring constantly.
- Spread over cooled cake and refrigerate cake until cold.
- Whip cream on high in and electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add confectioners' sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over filling.
- Sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs.
Recipe by From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫ at https://www.fromcalculustocupcakes.com/key-lime-cake/