This is really the last of my holiday posts. My daughter’s birthday is on Christmas Eve, so she gets to choose dinner and this lasagna is usually her choice. It is a very basic recipe with no fancy ingredients – just meat sauce, pasta, ricotta, Parmesan and mozzarella, but it is delicious. I didn’t even have a recipe for until this year when I decided to write it down as I made it.
The recipe is really easy to make, but does take a bit of time because you make the meat sauce first, then assemble the lasagna, and finally have to bake it. You will probably have some meat sauce left over because I always do. It is great to take to lunch over any type of noodles. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds ground round or chuck
- 2 28 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 12 oz. can tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 9 lasagne noodles (about half of a 1 pound package)
- 1 15 oz. container ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Brown ground round in a large skillet. Drain.
- Combine meat and the next 7 ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer 30 minutes.
- Cook lasagne noodles according to package directions.
- Combine ricotta, eggs, and 1/2 cup Parmesan, stirring until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 9″ x 13″ glass baking dish, coat the bottom of the dish with meat sauce. Layer 3 noodles over the sauce, top with 1/2 of the ricotta mixture and sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella. Repeat layers ending with noodles on top.
- Top the last layer of noodles with meat sauce, and sprinkle with remain 1 cup of mozzarella and 1 cup of Parmesan.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until lasagne is bubbly and brown on top. If the top begins to brown to quickly, you may cover it with foil.
This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.
This lasagna is delicious!
We love lasagna! Thanks for sharing with FFF! Sharing on Walking on Sunshine FB page later today!
Thank you so much!