If you like lavender and lemon, or lavender or lemon, you need to try these. Actually, you probably want to try them even if lavender and lemon are not your favorite flavors. They are so good that I am having a really hard time not eating all of them myself. When I made them, I really didn’t have a cookie cutter that I thought was the right size. I thought this one was too big, but really it is not. When I am finished eating one, I still want more. And, I have to confess that even though I like lavender, one of the reasons I made these was because I am watching my weight, and I didn’t think would have the urge to eat a whole batch of lavender cookies the same way I would if they were chocolate. I was wrong.
The shortbread recipe is one that I adapted from this one by Martha Stewart . The filling is a lemon cream cheese icing. They are wonderful with tea and would be perfect for a tea party. Hope you enjoy!
Lemon Filled Lavender Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature (Use the best quality butter you can find. It really does make a difference.)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp. dried culinary lavender (see note below)
Lemon Cream Cheese Filling
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 4 oz. (1/2 of an 8 oz. brick) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- the juice and zest of one large lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line two large cookie sheets with parchment.
- Cream together butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add flour, salt, and lavender and mix until well combined and the dough dough sticks together well.
- Roll onto a lightly floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut with cookie cutters and place on the prepared cookie sheets.
- You may have to lift the cookies with a spatula to place on the cookie sheet. Bake at for 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges just begin to turn golden. I baked mine one sheet at a time, but you could probably bake them on two racks and switch them half way through baking.
Lemon Cream Cheese Filling
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Beat on medium until well combined and fluffy.
- Pipe or spread filling on half of the cookies.
- Top with the other half.
- Serve immediately or store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for several days if you don’t eat them first. They are also better if you let them warm up for a few minutes before eating them.
Source: shortbread adapted from Martha Stewart
Note: You can buy culinary lavender at many kitchen and gourmet shops, but I got mine at Amazon at a much lower price.