This Lighter Asian Stir Fry started out as an attempt to make a lighter version of General Tso’s Chicken. I looked at several recipes online and combined some for the sauce and used my own oven fried version for the chicken. The result did not really taste like General Tso’s Chicken, though there were some definite similarities, but it was really good and very light on the oil. I am really trying to undo some of the damage done by my holiday eating, so this was a great alternative to much fattier versions. I also have been wanting to try some Asian themed recipes for the Chinese New Year, which is coming up at the end of the month. This would be great for celebrating and staying healthy at the same time!
Lighter Asian Stir Fry
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 hoisin sauce
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 – 2 Tbsps. Sriracha, depending on how hot you like it
- Cooking spray
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 2 cups broccoli florettes
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- Steamed rice for serving (I used jasmine rice.)
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spay with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Stir egg white into chicken cubes, mixing well to coat.
- Toss with cornstarch.
- Place in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Spray chicken with cooking spray.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes depending on the size and thickness of your chicken pieces
- While the chicken is cooking steam the broccoli until crisp-tender.
- Pour the sauce into a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Stir in chicken, broccoli, and pineapple.
- Serve immediately over steamed rice.
Joanne T Ferguson says
G’day! looks delicious Michelle! I could go for some of this right now!
[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.