Oh my. I almost have no words for these. I could eat all of them by myself… easily. They are just so, so good. These Little Meyer Lemon Tea Cakes are definitely one of the best desserts I have ever made. They are just so delicate and buttery. They are not super sweet, but just sweet enough… perfect. Seriously, these are absolutely perfect. You just have to try them.
And, the recipe only makes six, so you don’t have to contend with trying to resist a bunch of them. Of course, you could probably double the recipe…
And, they are even quick and easy to make. You can be completely finished and eating them in less than an hour. Oh, and they are extra good when they are still a little warm. I used a very mini loaf pan, but I used the same disher to portion out the batter that I use when I make cupcakes, so they are approximately cupcake sized. They might be a little thicker as cupcakes and therefore take a little longer to bake. Just keep an eye on them after about 12 minutes if you use a different sized pan.
Just add the batter and place a lemon slice on top and let them bake.
Little Meyer Lemon Tea Cakes
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for dusting the tops
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- the zest from 1 Meyer lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice (about 1 lemon depending on the juiciness)
- 3 thinly sliced Meyer lemon slices, cut in half
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Use a little of the melted butter to brush over the bottoms and sides of a mini loaf pan or muffin tin. You will need to butter 6 cavities.
- Whisk together flours, sugar, salt and zest.
- Add mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add egg whites and mix on low just until combined.
- While the mixer is running, slowly pour in lemon juice and then butter.
- Mix on medium until well combined.
- Divide evenly into the cavities of the pan you are using.
- Spread the batter out with a spoon to smooth the top.
- Place a lemon slice half in the center of each loaf and press lightly.
- Bake for 12 – 16 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and a pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Dust lightly with more confections’ sugar if desired.