So, the big game is coming up, and I keep seeing game day food all over the internet. I am going to be completely honest here. I am not a football fan. But, I do like typical game day food. Ok, maybe I just like food. One of my favorites is nachos, but this year we are not doing chips. So, your next thought is probably that people put all those toppings on tater tots too. But, we are not doing potatoes either. We are only doing “good” carbs. Well, one good carb is sweet potatoes, and while sweet potato tots are probably not the healthiest form of sweet potatoes, they are less likely to make our blood sugar sky rocket than white potato tots or chips. So, I made these Loaded Sweet Potato Totchoes. They are probably not going to be added to any list of super healthy foods, but the are just a smidge healthier than your typical nachos. Plus, they are super delicious even if you don’t care about healthy.
The toppings on these totchos are just a bit different than traditional nachos, too. I used a homemade cooked red sauce instead of salsa, and chicken instead of beef. And, they are all covered in shredded smoked gouda. I just love the smokiness with the sweet potatoes. I poached chicken especially for these totchoes, but you could easily used leftover cooked chicken or even leave it off entirely and make it vegetarian.
Now, I have seen quite a few recipes out there for sweet potato tots, but I confess, I totally bought the frozen kind. I mean, I bought the all natural more expensive ones, but still all I had to do was pop them in the oven. But, making this yummy red sauce ought to make up for it. Feel free to make your own if you are so inclined. Oh, and I also used store bought guacamole. I really can’t recommend doing that though as I had not planned to, but the grocery store only had avocados that were bright green and hard as rocks, so I knew it would be days before I got to make this if I waited for them to ripen, and I didn’t want to wait.
Loaded Sweet Potato Totchos
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 14 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 4.5 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
Other Ingredients for Assembly
- 2 20 ounce packages sweet potato tots or puffs cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 pound cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1/2 pound smoked Gouda or your favorite cheese, shredded
- sour cream, guacamole, chopped green onions, and chopped cilantro for topping
- In a large saucepan, stir together all ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Allow to simmer at least 30 minutes before serving.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together beans and chilies. Add water just to cover. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to keep hot while you put together the other ingredients.
- Just before serving, add the red pepper and cook just until hot. You don't want the red pepper really cooked, just hot like the beans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place tots on baking sheet
- Top with beans, chicken, red sauce, and cheese. Place in the oven just until cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and place on plates using a spatula.
- Top with sour cream, guacamole, chopped green onions, and chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately.