Being a southern girl, I love fried okra. And, this time of the year, it comes in rapidly from the garden. The only problem with fried okra is that if you eat enough of it, you are going to need to buy a new wardrobe – in a larger size. It is definitely not a low fat food! So, I devised a plan to get more of the fried okra taste with less of the fat. This is a great recipe because it not only tastes great, but it eliminates the mess of splattered oil all over the kitchen. Now, I probably won’t give up the occasional batch of the greasy stuff, but this is a healthier, quick, easy, less messy, way to get that fried okra flavor.
Low Fat Oven Fried Okra
- 1 pound okra, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup plain cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray generously with cooking oil spay.
- Stir together cornmeal, flour, and salt.
- Put the okra in a bowl. Stir in the egg white and let sit a few minutes until it gets gummy.
- Stir in the cornmeal mixture. Stir well to coat.
- Spread the okra evenly over the the prepared cookie sheet.
- Spray okra with oil.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and okra is tender, turning and breaking clusters apart with a spatula every 5 minutes.
This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.