Anybody else remember the broccoli and rice casserole that was so popular back when I was a kid. So yum! And, some of the recipes had chicken in them making them a meal right by themselves. I think they all started out as broccoli casseroles, and then people added the chicken. Well, this One Pot Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole is like that only better! It has been updated to be cooked in one pot on top of the stove, and it has no canned soup or not-quite-real cheese. It also has a combination of brown and wild rice making it better than the white rice version from a nutritional stand point – and especially from a blood glucose level standpoint.
But, the best part is that this recipe is seriously delicious. I mean, you really need to try it. I will tell you that it takes quite a while to cook due to the wild and brown rice, but most of that time is inactive time, which means it is just sitting on the stove cooking. You will need to head by occasionally and stir it a bit, but if you are at home, it is definitely not a lot of trouble.
One Pot Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 8 ounces slice button mushrooms
- 1 pound chicken tenders (The raw ones from the meat department, not the breaded frozen ones.)
- 1 5 ounces can sliced water chestnuts
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli
- 1 teaspoon salt or more or less to taste
- 5 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large pot (I really do mean large, it makes a lot.), stir together rices, water, mushrooms, chicken, water chestnuts, cream cheese and butter.
- Heat over medium to high heat until boiling, stirring frequently until cream cheese and butter have melted into the mix.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 45 minutes.
- While the mixture is simmering trim and chop broccoli. I used both the florets and the stems. Add to the pot when you get through chopping and continue cooking fro the remainder of the 45 minutes.
- Uncover and use a wooden spoon to break up the chicken in the pot.
- Stir in salt and 4 cups of the shredded cheddar.
- Cook uncovered for another 45 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and burning to the bottom of the pot.
- Top with remaining cheese and let sit until melted (about 5 minutes).