One Pot Penne
- 1 1/2 pounds ground meat (I used 1 lb. ground chicken and 1/2 lb. chicken Italian sausage, but any combination of these or other ground meats would work.)
- 2 Tbsps. olive oil
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsps. fresh basil, chopped plus more for garnish
- 4 cups water
- 12 oz. penne pasta or other tubular pasta, uncooked (I used whole grain.)
- 1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat the olive oil over medium in a large pot or skillet that is oven proof. Add the meat and cook, stirring constantly to break up, until brown.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, basil, and water.
- Stir in pasta.
- Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat so that it is just barely boiling. Cook until pasta is tender. Mine took about 15 minutes.
- Stir in ricotta and Parmesan and continue cooking until heated through.
- Top with mozzarella.
- Place in the oven and turn on the broiler. Watch carefully, so that it doesn't burn. Leave under the broiler until the cheese is melted and beginning to turn brown.
- Garnish with chopped basil if desired.
Recipe by From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫ at https://www.fromcalculustocupcakes.com/one-pot-penne/