I first made this Pecan Pie Oatmeal recipe for the Daily Dish with Foodie Friends Friday back in November. I had always intended on sharing it here also, but then came the holidays and all of the Christmas cookies, and I never got around to it. Then, at least here in Georgia, it got unseasonably warm. It is just hard for me to think about oatmeal when it is seventy degrees outside. But, by the end of the week, we are supposed to be back to winter, so it is the perfect time to post it. It really does taste a lot like pecan pie. And, almost as good is the taste, is that you put it together the night before, and wake up to a hot breakfast in your slow cooker! When you wake up and open it up to take a peak, don’t be disappointed by the dark pecans. They are not burned. Just stir it up and you will see just how good it is! Hope you enjoy!
Pecan Pie Oatmeal
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and divided
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal (use rolled oats or steel cut oats, not quick cooking)
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Toast pecans by cooking in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently and watch carefully to avoid burning.
- Reserve 1/4 cup pecans for serving.
- Combine 3/4 cup pecans and remaining ingredients in the pot of a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-9 hours. (I program mine for 8, and then it turns itself on low.)
- To serve, top with reserved toasted pecans.
This recipe was shared on Foodie Friends Friday.