My son has been asking for quinoa. Yes, really. He is eighteen, and he is a vegetarian, so he likes interesting food. And, quinoa has protein, which he sometimes has a hard time getting enough of. I have a couple of quinoa salads that I make, but I wanted to try something different, and I really loved this Pomegranate Quinoa Salad. It has pomegranate arils, walnuts, avocado, feta cheese, lemon, and mint. Don’t let the mint throw you, it is not just good in sweet things. In fact, I prefer it in the savory.
Seriously, I thought the flavor combination was perfect. Something about the mint and the pomegranate and the cheese – yum!
Pomegranate Quinoa Salad
- 4 cups cooked and cooled quinoa (Use the package directions.)
- the arils of one pomegranate (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 avocado, cubed (Dip the cubes in a little lemon juice to prevent browning.)
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- the juice of four lemons
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt to taste (I used about 1/2 teaspoon.)
- Toss together quinoa, pomegranate arils, avocado, mint, walnuts, and feta cheese.
- Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Pour over salad and toss again.