This is a wonderful cake. It is my daughter’s favorite cake, and she even sometimes asks for it for her birthday. The brown sugar icing is more like a brown sugar fudge than icing. I think I could eat an entire bowl of it by itself! It would make a great Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert.
The original recipe can be found here from Oxmoor House via My Recipes. The challenge was to make it non-alcoholic and without nuts. My daughter is allergic to nuts. Even though some of my recipes list alcohol, they always list an alternative that I use instead because being a teacher, at least where I am, prohibits the purchase of alcohol, so I needed to come up with a substitute. First, I tried apple juice, but the cake stuck to the pan. I am thinking that apple juice added additional sugar and just made it sticky. This version uses one teaspoon of imitation rum flavoring in a quarter cup measure that was then filled with water. It turned out perfectly. Hope your enjoy!
- 3 1/2 cups dark brown sugar, divided
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 3/4 tsp. plus 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3 1/2 tsps. cinnamon, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/4 tsps. imitation rum flavoring, divided
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin
- 2 tsps. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsps. confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a twelve cup bundt pan.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter.
- Add 1/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, and 1/8 tsp. salt, and 1 1/2 tsps. cinnamon to the butter. Stir with a fork until well combined. Set aside.
- Cream together 1 cup butter, 2 cups dark brown sugar, and two cups sugar with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add 3/4 tsp. salt, baking powder, baking soda, 2 tsps. cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg. Mix well to combine.
- Add 1 tsp. imitation rum flavor to a 1/2 cup measure. Fill the 1/2 cup measure with water.
- Combine the rum flavor mixture with the pumpkin.
- Add the remaining flour alternating with pumpkin mixture, mixing well after each addition and beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Crumble half of the brown sugar mixture over the batter.
- Top with remaining batter and bake for approximately 1 1/2 hours or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn cake out onto the wire rack and let cool completely.
- To make icing. Put confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl.
- Put 1/4 cup butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar, and whipping cream in a medium sauce pan.
- Heat over medium until butter is melted.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Pour over confectioners’ sugar and whisk mixture until smooth.
- Allow to cool slightly and then spoon over cake.
Source: Adapted from Oxmoor House via My Recipes.