- 1 2 1/2 pound pie pumpkin
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 28 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 15.5 ounce can black beans
- 1 15.5 ounce can dark red kidney beans
- 1 15.5 ounce can white hominy
- 1 4.5 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 very small pie pumpkins
- olive oil
- cheese, cilantro, sour cream and green onions for serving
- Bake or microwave pumpkin until tender enough to pierce with a fork. I microwaved mine. Make sure to prick the skin with a knife, so that it doesn't explode in your microwave. Mine took about 8 minutes, but time is largely dependent on the size and thickness of your pumpkin.
- Allow pumpkin to cool enough to touch. Cut in half and remove seeds. Scrape the pumpkin from the skin and place in a large pot.
- Add onion, olive oil, and water to the pot.
- Cook stirring occasionally over medium heat until water is evaporated. Continue cooking stirring constantly until onions are soft and just beginning to brown.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut lids from tops of pumpkins.
- Remove seeds and strings.
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until tender. Mine took about 30 minutes, but time will be largely dependent upon the size and thickness of your pumpkins.
- Ladle chili into pumpkins and top with any desired toppings
Recipe by From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫ at https://www.fromcalculustocupcakes.com/pumpkin-chili/