Red Curry Tofu
Yield 2 -4
- 2 14 ounce packages of extra firm tofu (This is quite a lot, and you might be able to only use one, but we have a couple of hearty eaters around here.)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- vegetable oil
- 2 scallions, sliced (I save a little of the green parts to garnish.)
- the zest of one lime
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 cup pineapple, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup basil, torn (If you can get Thai basil, it is even better, but regular is good too.)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 8 ounce can bamboo shoots
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste (or more or less to taste)
- 1 dried red chili pepper, crushed/chopped (Remove the seeds if you don't want it too hot. Wear gloves to cut or be really careful not to get it on your hands and then wash afterwards.)
- cooked Rice for serving
- Drain the tofu and then place on a plate lined with two layers of paper towels. Place two more layers of paper towels over the tofu and add another plate on top. Allow to drain for 30 minutes. I do this before I start cutting up vegetables, so that I am actually getting something done while it drains.
- Cut the tofu into bite sized cubes and toss in cornstarch.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium. You just need enough to cover the bottom of the pan well, but you may need to add more as you go. Fry tofu, turning occasionally until light golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Saute peppers and bamboo shoots in until pepper is crisp-tender. You many need to add more oil to the pan.
- Stir in coconut milk and curry paste, stirring until the paste is well integrated.
- Stir in pineapple, scallions, basil, lime zest, tamari, red chili pepper, and half of the cilantro.
- Cook until all is hot.
- Serve over rice and top with tofu with remaining cilantro and scallion slices. If you like, you can stir the tofu directly into the sauce instead of adding it on top, but I like to keep it crispy, and I think it stays that way longer added on top.
Recipe by From Calculu∫ to Cupcake∫ at https://www.fromcalculustocupcakes.com/red-curry-tofu/