When I was a kid, my mother used to make this in the form of a salmon ball, and it was probably my favorite holiday appetizer. These days, we no longer roll it in a ball and cover it with nuts because my daughter is allergic to nuts. Instead, we serve it with capers for topping, which is even better.
This is a quick and easy appetizer if you are still needing one for Christmas or New Year’s, and it is just so good. I have no idea what the original origin of this recipe is, so if you know, please let me know, so that I can give the author credit. Even though it does take an extra few minutes, buy the salmon with the skin and bones and pick them out. It tastes so much better than the skinless, boneless type. Better yet, cook your own!
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1 14.5 ounce can salmon, bones and skin removed
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (not horseradish sauce)
- 2-3 drops liquid smoke
- bread or crackers for serving
- Mix all ingredients together with a fork until well combined except capers and bread or crackers
- Serve with capers and bread or crackers.