I know this is a really strong statement, but this Salted Mixed Nut Praline Brownie Torte just might be the best dessert I have ever eaten. This is seriously over the top fabulous. You just have to make it! And, to make it even better, it is easy. As in, you don’t even need a mixer easy. Plus, just look at it. I mean, it looks almost as delicious as it is, making it perfect for entertaining! It is just the perfect dessert, especially for the holidays.
What makes it so good and so easy is that the layers are brownie instead of cake. The filling/topping is one I adapted from the topping on this pumpkin cake. I increased the amounts a bit and exchanged the rum flavor for vanilla extract and then stirred is salted mixed nuts. Oh-my-goodness, this is good. I think I could eat the topping right by itself. Trust me, this torte will not disappoint you!
Salted Mixed Nut Praline Brownie Torte
- 12 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups salted mixed nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 3 8-inch round cake pans. Line pans with parchment and grease parchment.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt butter.
- Turn burner off, but leave pan on the burner. Add chocolate and stir until melted and combined. This will take a bit of time, but it is worth it not to burn the chocolate. If it appears to stop melting, you can turn the burner back on low briefly, but you don't want it to get really hot.
- Stir in sugar and vanilla.
- Add eggs and stir until completely combined.
- Stir in flour. Keep stirring briskly until batter begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Pour into prepared pans (divided evenly).
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely before filling and topping.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together butter, cream, and brown sugar.
- Heat over medium until mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil for one minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Add confectioners' sugar, and whisk briskly until all lumps are gone. This may take a minute or two. You will be creating bubbles, so some of what you see that looks like lumps are bubbles. All the lumps should be gone within two minutes.
- Stir in nuts and use to fill and top immediately.
- Use about 1/4 of mixture to put between each layer and the remaining half to pour over the top.