Two watermelons showed up on the kitchen counter Saturday morning – it is a sure sign that summer is upon us soon. Michelle and I decided that these watermelons would be….something MORE than all those that passed before them. What could we do with these we asked, she said “GRILL ‘EM” so I did, Savory Grilled Watermelon for Man Food Mondays was born…
If you look out on the internet you will see that grilling watermelon is not an original idea, it is an unusual one though and sometimes that is enough to get us thinking about new and different ways to enjoy an age old favorite. The method is simple, it does not take long to prepare.
So let’s get started.
Savory Grilled Watermelon for Man Food Mondays
- Small to medium watermelon (any leftovers can go into the refrigerator for later)
- Fleur de sel (Sea Salt feel free to use any granular type salt)
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Vegetable oil for the grill
- Slice the watermelon into rounds about 1 inch thick. Cut the rounds into quarters. Slice the lemons into rounds for grilling. Sprinkle the watermelon with a little lemon juice saving the remaining slices to grill.
- Clean the grill grates and use the oil to lightly coat them. Bring your grill up to 400 degrees and lay the lemon slices and the watermelon wedges on for 3 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and sprinkle the Fleur de sel and fresh basil and serve.
We had this a side dish with grilled chicken breasts sitting on the back patio with torch lights blazing. It was very tasty, the texture and flavor of the watermelon changes slightly, we will do this again changing it up a bit to see what flavors we can coax out.
Till next week, take care.