I love spring rolls, and they are perfect when the weather gets hot. And, they are fun. Honestly, I made these just for myself, but I have this vision of a dinner with bowls of fillings and everyone making their own. Here I used my favorite fillings, but there are so many options. You could use pretty much any fruit, vegetable or meat. This recipe is for four rolls, but it could easily be increased to use as an entire meal or for more people.
The dipping sauce is my own concoction that is a bit different than what is usually served with spring rolls. It does have a touch of heat, so if you don’t like hot, just leave out the chili oil. If you have not used rice paper wrappers before, I have some tips for you. You will be soaking them in warm water to soften them, but watch them carefully. They can go from pretty stiff to too soft to work with pretty fast. Have all your toppings ready to go before you soften your wrapper because you need to work quickly. I made mine on a cutting board, and it will begin to stick to the cutting board pretty quickly. Wrap it tight. I still have trouble with this, but the tighter it is wrapped, the easier it will be to eat without falling apart.
Shrimp Spring Rolls
- 4 rice paper wrappers
- rice noodles – you won’t need the whole package, prepared according to package directions
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup salad shrimp (or any shrimp), boiled
- 2 Tbsps. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. chili oil
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- Stir together soy sauce, chili oil, sesame oil, sugar, and vinegar. Set aside.
- Make sure you have remaining ingredients ready to use before softening rice paper wrappers.
- One at at time, soften rice paper wrappers in warm water according to package directions. Fill each wrapper before going softening the next wrapper. To fill, place fillings in the center of the wrapper, Fold sides over and then roll up.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers.
This recipe was linked up at Prototype Mama’s That’s Fresh Friday.
Culinary Flavors says
I love spring rolls too! And I always love to try new recipes that look delicious as this one!
Oh that looks so good!
Dawn ~ Spatulas On Parade says
I love Asian food. Spring rolls, egg rolls, wontons…all of it. Nice job. And healthy too.
Tara SImone says
Second what Dawn says! And don’t worry, I can take the heat!
Erin @ The Speckled Palate says
These sound delightful and just perfect for all the hot weather we’ve been experiencing recently. Never made spring rolls, though, and now I want to give it a shot!
Nice blog! Just found my way over via Southern Girl Blog Group. 🙂
[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.